At Pelican International Inc. (hereinafter “Pelican”), we understand the importance of privacy and are committed to protecting your personal data. Pelican strives to collect, use and/or disclose personal and other information in a manner that complies with applicable laws, and prides itself on respecting the highest ethical standards in its business practices.
This Privacy Notice (hereinafter the “Policy”) informs you of the way in which we collect and process your personal data through our website www.pelicansport.com (hereinafter the “Website”), the person(s) responsible for managing your personal data and explains your privacy rights.
Pelican has designed this Policy to meet the regulatory requirements of the jurisdictions in which it operates. Please read this Policy carefully before visiting and using the Website or before providing us with any information. If you do not agree with the terms of this Policy, immediately stop using this Website.
If you are a resident of Nevada or California, please see the “Notice to Residents of Nevada” and “Notice to Residents of California” sections.
- 1. Data We Collect About You
- How is Your Personal Data Collected?
- How We Use Your Personal Data?
- Purposes for Which We Will Use Your Personal Data
- Who Collects Your Personal Data?
- 2. Data Security
- 3. Sharing (Communicating) Your Personal Data
- Social Media and Technology Integrations
- Children’s Policy
- 4. Person in Charge of Managing Your Personal Data
- 5. Your Rights with Respect to Your Personal Data
- 6. General Provisions
- Modification of this Policy
- Governing Law
- 7. Notice to Residents of Nevada
- 8. Notice to Residents of California
1. Data We Collect About You
How is Your Personal Data Collected?
Pelican collects personal data and other information when you register for or use the services provided on our Website or by contacting us by mail, email or telephone, or through direct interactions. You provide us with certain personal data when you: apply for our products and services, create an account on our Website, subscribe to our publications, request marketing to be sent to you or communicate with us.
We also obtain personal data about you from third parties or publicly available sources such as analytical data providers like Google Analytics, advertising networks, social media providers and similar platforms like Facebook and search information providers like “Google Ads”.
How We Use Your Personal Data?
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified.
We may collect, use, store and transfer, as necessary, different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Data : includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, title, date of birth and gender.
- Contact Data : includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone number.
- Transaction Data : includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data : includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile Data : includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data : includes information about how you use our website, products and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data : includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
Purposes for Which We Will Use Your Personal Data
We will only use your personal data when the applicable law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- If we need to perform a contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- If it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- If we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to receiving marketing-related announcements at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions included in the advertising email that was sent to you to your email address or through your personal account on Pelican’s Website.
We have set out below, in a table format, a description of all the ways we may use your personal data :
|Purpose/Activity||Type of Data|
To register you as a new customer
To process and deliver your order including:
To manage our relationship with you which will include:
To use data analytics to improve our website, products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences
To make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising. We have established the following personal data control mechanisms:
- Promotional Offers
We may use your identity, contact, technical, usage and profile data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you (we call this marketing).
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or purchased goods or services from us or if you provided us with your details when you registered for a promotion and/or service and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
- Third-Party Marketing
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal data with any company outside the Pelican group of companies for marketing purposes.
- Opting Out
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you.
Please contact us if you require specific information on the legal basis on which we rely for processing your personal data, at the following email address: email@example.com
Who Collects Your Personal Data?
The entity listed below is the one that collects personal data and other information through our services. Our postal address is as follows:
Pelican International Inc.
1000 place Paul-Kane
Laval (Québec), Canada H7C 2T2
2. Data Security
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so .
If there is a violation of your personal data, we will report it to the competent authority as soon as possible after learning about it, unless this violation is not likely to create a risk of infringement on rights and freedoms of natural persons. If the risk is likely to be high, Pelican undertakes to communicate the personal data breach to the person concerned.
Although every effort is made to ensure that no one can view, access or obtain your personal information, it is not yet possible to guarantee the complete confidentiality and security of communications made over the Internet. Any unencrypted communication sent by email over the Internet is neither secure nor confidential and may be intercepted, lost or tampered with. Pelican, its agents, directors and employees, as well as its affiliates, are not responsible for any damages that you or anyone else may suffer as a result of the transmission of confidential or sensitive information over the Internet. These communications are performed at your own risk.
3. Sharing (Communicating) Your Personal Data
For the same purposes referred to in the table presented in Section 1 above, we may need to share your personal data with other entities, whether they are internal third parties, meaning the other companies of the Pelican group in their capacity as joint controllers or processors or with external third parties such as service providers acting as processors.
When the communication of your personal data is made to third parties for purposes other than those expressed in the table presented in Section 1, we would first obtain, when required by law, your express, clear and unequivocal consent following a request made in plain language.
If we share your personal data, we ensure that it is protected by requiring all companies included in our group to follow the same rules when handling your personal data. Whenever we transfer your personal data, we will ensure, as far as is reasonably possible, that it is treated with a similar degree of protection when required by law.
In all cases, we require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with applicable law. We do not allow any third-party service provider to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only allow them to process your personal data for specific purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Social Media and Technology Integrations
We offer parts of the Website through other websites, platforms, and services operated or controlled by separate entities. In addition, we integrate technologies operated or controlled by separate entities into parts of our Website. Some examples include:
- Links to websites, platforms, social media sites, and other services not operated or controlled by us. Other parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you visit this Website.
The Website is intended for a general audience, and is not directed at children under thirteen (13) years of age.
We do not knowingly collect personal information (as defined by the U.S. Children’s Privacy Protection Act, or “COPPA”) in a manner not permitted by COPPA.
We do not knowingly “sell”, as that term is defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), the personal information of minors under 16 years old who are California residents.
If you are a California resident under 18 years old and registered to use the Website, you can ask us to remove any content or information you have posted on the Website. To make a request, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “California Under 18 Content Removal Request” in the subject line, and tell us what you want removed. We will make reasonable good faith efforts to remove the post from prospective public view, although we cannot ensure the complete or comprehensive removal of the content and may retain the content as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
4. Person in Charge of Managing Your Personal Data
We have appointed a data privacy manager (DPM) who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this Policy. If you have any questions about this Policy, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact the DPM by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Other individuals within Pelican may be delegated to act on behalf of the DPM or to take responsibility for the day-to-day collection and/or processing of personal data.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the relevant authority responsible for data protection issues. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach any relevant authority so please contact us in the first instance.
5. Your Rights With Respect to Your Personal Data
You have the right to access, modify or delete the personal information we hold about you, and in certain cases to object to the processing of your personal information or to request that it be provided to you in a portable format. For example, if your personal information changes, if you wish to review or correct it, or if you no longer wish to benefit from our services, you can correct, update or delete your personal information on the member information page or by sending an email to our customer service at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, Pelican will let you know whether or not we hold personal information about you. We will respond to your request within a reasonable time..
6. General Provisions
If any provision hereof is held illegal, invalid or unenforceable by any competent authority in any jurisdiction, such illegality, invalidity or unenforceability shall not in any manner affect or render illegal, invalid or unenforceable such provision in any other jurisdiction or any other provision hereof in any jurisdiction.
Modification of this Policy
This Policy may be modified at any time, depending on the development of legal and regulatory requirements or your expectations. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Website. Should we make a material change to this Policy, we will notify you on our Website before that change becomes effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
This Website is controlled and operated by Pelican from Montreal, Quebec, Canada and these conditions are governed by the laws of the Province of Quebec and the laws of Canada applicable therein, without regard to the principles of conflict of laws. You agree to be bound by these laws.
This Site is controlled and operated by Pelican from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Pelican makes no representation as to the suitability or availability of any elements appearing on this Website in any other jurisdiction. Individuals who choose to access this Website from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for complying with the relevant local laws, where applicable.
7. Notice to Residents of Nevada
Nevada law (NRS 603A.340) requires each business to establish a designated request address where Nevada consumers may submit requests to direct the business not to sell certain kinds of personal information that the business has collected or will collect about the consumer. A sale under Nevada law is the exchange of personal information for monetary consideration by the business to a third party for the third party to license or sell the personal information to other third parties. Data sharing practices are not considered a “sale” under Nevada law and Pelican does not sell personal data within the meaning of that law .
8. Notice to Residents of California
In the past twelve (12) months, we have collected the following categories of personal information enumerated in the CCPA:
- Identifiers, including name, email address, phone number, account name, and an ID or number assigned to your account.
- Demographics, such as your age or gender. This category includes data that may qualify as protected classifications under other California or federal laws.
- Commercial information, including engagement with the Website.
- Internet activity, including your interactions with our Website.
- Inferences, including information about your interests, preferences and favourites.
For more information on information we collect, including the sources we receive information from, review the “Data We Collect About You” section. We collect and use these categories of personal information for the business purposes described in this specific section.
Under the CCPA, “sell” is defined broadly, and Pelican does not sell information under the traditional meaning of the term “sell” or as defined in the CCPA. In the event that certain personal data must be shared with third parties outside the Pelican Group, this sharing of personal data will be performed in accordance with the information indicated in the section “Sharing (Communicating) Your Personal Data” of this Policy.
Right to Delete
If you are a California resident, you have the right to delete the personal information we have collected from you and the right know certain information about our data practises in the preceding twelve (12) months. In particular, you have the right to request the following from us:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- The categories of personal information about you we disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
To exercise any of these rights, please email us at: email@example.com. In the request, please specify which right you are seeking to exercise and the scope of the request. We will confirm receipt of your request within ten (10) days. We may require specific information from you to help us verify your identity and process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity, we may deny your requests to know or delete.
Right to Opt Out
In the event that Pelican sold your personal information in conformity with the term “sell” defined under the CCPA, you have the right to opt out of the sale of your personal information by us to third parties at any time. You may also submit a request to opt out by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may designate an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf. However, we will require written proof of the agent’s permission to do so and verify your identity directly.
Right to Non-Discrimination
You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any your rights.
CCPA’s Shine the Light Request
Customers who are residents of California may request:
- a list of the categories of personal information disclosed by us to third parties during the immediately preceding calendar year for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes;
- a list of the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed such information. To exercise a request, please write to us at the email email@example.com or postal address set out in the section “Who Collects Your Personal Data” above and specify that you are making a “California Shine the Light Request.” We may require additional information from you to allow us to verify your identity and are only required to respond to requests once during any calendar year.